Welcome to Yakushima, a sea turtles nesting site!
The number of sea turtles are decreasing on a global scale. They are registered on the *1 IUCN Red List of Threatened Species.
Yakushima’s sandy beaches are very important nesting areas for sea turtles especially loggerhead turtles. The coastal area of the Japanese archipelago is the only nesting area in the North Pacific, which about one fourth of the spawning sea turtles choose Yakushima to lay their eggs.
*1 IUCN: International Union for Conservation of Nature
During the nesting season, sea turtle observing tours are held on Nagata Beach, which the greatest number of sea turtles come to lay their eggs on Yakushima.
To see the sea turtles laying their eggs on Nagatahama Beach, visitors need to participate in the sea turtle observing tour. Reservation is required.
The Sea Turtle Observing Tour Information
The sea turtle observing tours will start with an orientation which provides information on the basic rules and the biology of sea turtles. Then participants watch a video image of female sea turtles landing. Staff members will guide you to its nesting site when they start nesting.
Please be advised that there are no guarantees that you will see sea turtles nesting. We ask for your understanding in advance.
- Observing Tour Period: May1 – July 20
- Opening Hours: 21:00 – 23:00
(Reception Hours: 20:00 – 20:30)
- Meeting Place: Yakushima Umigame-kan, Sea Turtle Museum
- Admission fee : 2,000 yen for adults / 500 yen for junior high school students and under
- Limit of Participants : Up to 50 people/per day
【Reservation & Inquiry】
Nagata Sea Turtles Association
- TEL: 0997-45-2280
Phone reservation period: April 1 – July 20
- Booking website: http://nagata-umigame.com/reservation/
Online booking period: February 1 – July 20
Rules for the Sea Turtle Observing Tour
Please follow the code of conduct for the sea turtle observing tour.
Please participate in the sea turtle observing tour orientation.
Please do not enter the sea turtle nesting area before participating in the orientation.
- Please follow all instructions of staff members during the observation tours.
- Turn off any artificial lights.
- Do not walk on the beach indiscriminately and do not make any noise.
- Do not touch the sea turtles.
- Taking videos and pictures are prohibited.
- Alcohol beverages are prohibited.
- Smoking is not allowed on the beach.
- Let’s keep the beach clean. All trash brought in should be taken out.
- Once the tour is over you are required to leave the beach.